Week 1

Week One Orientation: Dakar

Arrival at Dakar Airport
Pictured (L to R): Zig, Collins, Pastor Kristin, Connor, Charlie, Sarah
First Sunday worship with SLDS


Sunday's Worship Space

Arrival:

I went into this experience with very little expectation, not knowing what this country was going to look like and much less what daily life here was going to bring. Landing here was incredibly powerful. The land is flat and sandy, the trees are breathtaking, and the structural development is minimal. I observed all this on the ride into the city of Dakar from the airport. This was the first time I truly felt this experience to be real. The reality of the next year of my life began to soak in.

Community:
From the moment we stepped off the plane the people of Senegal have welcomed our group with such love and Grace. The SLDS center in Hann Marist has been my cohort's home for the past week and everyone here has been so incredibly hospitipal. We spend our evenings at the center, we eat our dinners here and sleep. During the day we have explored different parts of the city through trips to the market or boutiques in our area. The traffic is like nothing I have ever experienced, it is crowded and does not seem to have any order of any kind, just a lot of people that are trying to get to point A to point B in whatever way they possibly can. It is the only part of Senegalese culture that I have found to be individualistic in any way. Luckily we walk everywhere that we can.

Also, IT'S HOT, and this community does not hesitate to remind you of it, but in just a week I recognize that my body is adjusting to the climate change. 

The Boabab Center in Dakar has been the base for all of our learning so far. Our basic cultural orientation provided us with some of the much needed knowledge of daily life in Senegal, things to do and not do. Pretty much making sure that we were taking safety and cultural precaution in our new environment.
We have also started Wolof lessons at the Baobab center with our entergetic and eccentric teacher Abdou. The language is casual and fun so far. Language has definitely been the biggest obstacle thus far. Getting around everyday, buying things, or even introducing ourselves has been difficult. It is incredible though, most everyone that we have met speaks at least two languages (one usually being French). Communication is unique and inventive so far but I know that it will improve over time. 

Overall the Teranga or hospitality that we have experienced here has been the most impactful of anything. Everyone is kind and thoughtful, and enthusiastic to meet us, help us and get to know us.

Ultimately an impactful first week. I have gotten to be very close with my amazing, talented and caring cohort. I have met many kind, loving and hospitable locals, and I have gotten over my jet lag. From doing laundry a new way to experiencing a church service that was in French, this year will definitely be a year of firsts. 


Laundry Lessons with Albert and Joseph
A lot of what I’ll write on this blog is an attempt in summing up my week. There is of course so much that I leave out or is too complex to explain in short detail so I urge you to write a comment or reach out to me in some way to learn more. Thanks for supporting and loving me. God’s peace and love be with you always. 

Comments